Volunteer Dementia Nurses
Dementia Service Daycare Volunteer Role Description
We are looking for volunteer nurses within our Dementia Service Daycare Centre, offering support for older people living with dementia.
Responsible to: Coordinator of the service
Location: The Seymour Centre, 34 South Parade, Sutton Coldfield, B72 1QU
What would my role involve as a Day centre Volunteer?
- Meeting and greeting service users and their relatives
- Helping with client needs including toileting and feeding.
- Establish, maintain and develop relationships with users within the centre
- Work with individuals to maintain their levels of mobility and independence
- Assisting with the preparation and setting up of activities for the day
- Be involved with the planning and implementation of activities in the Day centre
- Assisting at mealtimes.
- Clearing away at the end of the day
- Be an ambassador for Age UK Birmingham
Personal qualities most suited to this role:
- Nursing skills and patience and consideration of peoples individual needs
- Good communication skills
- Able to work as part of a team
- Able to use own initiative
- Willingness to develop an understanding of the needs of a person living with dementia
- Willingness to participate in training where appropriate
- Compassionate and dedicated
- Reliable and dependable
- Nursing skills, excellent listening skills, ability to empathise with older people and use tact and sensitivity when dealing with vulnerable clients
- Ability to relate positively to people of different cultures, backgrounds and experiences and believe in the equal value of people regardless of race, religion, culture, gender, age, disability or sexuality
- Understands the need for confidentiality
How much time is involved?
Morning, afternoon or full-day sessions as agreed. You can stop volunteering at any time but you must let us know in advance.
Expenses and Insurance:
We will cover agreed out-of-pocket expenses for volunteers (e.g. travel costs). You can claim travel expenses weekly or monthly by completing a travel expense form and provide receipts where appropriate. We will also ensure you under our Public Liability insurance for the time you are volunteering with us. Please ensure that you only carry out tasks which have been requested of you with this volunteering role.
A Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) is required for this role as volunteers will be assisting our members with eating and toileting