BVSC Privacy Statement
This Privacy Statement sets out the data processing practices carried out by BVSC in relation to our database of organisations. BVSC, the Centre for Voluntary Action, is a charity that supports voluntary action in Birmingham and surrounding areas by providing an environment where organisations and community groups can pursue their aims and thrive. Find out more about our purpose and what we do at: https://www.bvsc.org/what-we-do
We will always make sure that your information is protected and treated securely. Any information that you give will be held in accordance with:
- EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Data Protection Act 2018
In particular we will ensure that data is processed according to the six principles in the GDPR and will:
- be processed fairly, lawfully and transparently;
- be collected and processed only for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes;
- be adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary for the purposes for which it is processed;
- be accurate and kept up to date. Any inaccurate data must be deleted or rectified without delay;
- not be kept for longer than is necessary for the purposes for which it is processed; and
- be processed securely.
Information we collect
When you register with our database we will ask you for your consent to provide the following information:
- Name of organisation
- Name of individual membership contact for organisation and lead officer
- Email address for organisation, membership contact and lead officer
- Job/volunteer role title of membership contact and lead officer
- Phone number
- Postal address
How we will use your personal information
When you register with our database we will use your personal information for the following reasons:
- to send you our newsletter where you have requested it;
- to send you information about training, our events, events in the Third Sector, where you have requested this;
- to respond to any queries you may have;
- to improve the quality of our service.
Sharing your information
We may share your information with the following:
- GMCVO Databases (our data processor)
- Statutory bodies (e.g. Birmingham City Council)
If we share your information with others we will always make sure that they have appropriate legally compliant systems in place to protect your data.
Retention and disposal of personal data
Every 2 years we will ask you if you want to stay on our database. If you say don’t say yes, or if we don’t hear from you within three months, we will remove you from the database and delete or securely destroy all your records. You may also unsubscribe from the database at any time (see below) in which case we will delete or securely destroy all your personal records.
We are strongly committed to data security and we take reasonable and appropriate steps to protect your personal information from unauthorised access, loss, misuse, alteration or corruption.
We have put in place physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information you provide to us.
Only authorised employees and contractors under strict controls will have access to your personal information.
We make sure that our data security systems are robust and are reguarly reviewed so that your data is secure.
Information about people who use our website
Please note that this statement does not cover links within this website to other websites.
When you browse through the information on this website, it does not store or capture your personal information. We do log your IP address (as it is automatically recognised by the web server) but this is only so you can download this website onto your device rather than for any tracking purpose; it is not used for any other purpose.
We will only collect personal information provided by you, such as:
- feedback from surveys and online forms
- email addresses
- preferred means of communication.
Unsubscribing from our services
If you want to unsubscribe from our services at any time, please click on the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of any newsletter or other email notice from us or alternatively contact membership[at]bvsc[dot]org / comms[at]bvsc[dot]org by email or telephone 0121 678 8812 during normal office hours (9-4 weekdays). If you wish to be removed from our database entirely contact membership[at]bvsc[dot]org and you will be removed from the database.
Your right to access information about you
If you think we may hold personal data relating to you and want to see it please write to membership[at]bvsc[dot]org
Correcting or deleting your personal data
If you know that we are holding your personal data and believe that it may be wrong, or if you want it to be deleted or for us to stop using it, you have a right to request that it can be deleted or amended.
Please make your objection in writing to membership[at]bvsc[dot]org
Or send it by post to:
BVSC Communications Team
Complaints about how we look after or use your information
If you have any concerns about how we process your data, please contact our Data Protection Officer at jasbirr[at]bvsc[dot]org. You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner. You can do so by calling 0303 123 1113 or online at www.ico.org.uk/concerns.