Volunteer Benefits Form Filler
As a benefits form filler you will be working with individuals who have previously received support from our Assessment and Signposting service. You will assist individuals with the completion of benefit applications to enable them to access benefits/services to which they are entitled. The types of forms will include Attendance Allowance, Personal Independence Payments and other benefits.
About the service
The Focus Birmingham Sight Loss Support Service offers a vital source of support, information and advice to people who are experiencing sensory loss.
Through an understanding of individual need, we seek to offer reassurance and practical assistance. We work with partner organisations such as Birmingham City Council and where appropriate, can refer people to colleagues within Focus Birmingham, who provide services such as low vision assessments, falls preventions advice and recommendations regarding aids that can support independent living.
We are here to improve the quality of life for people with sensory loss and disabilities and those we seek to support are at the heart of everything we do.
This role requires an Enhanced Adult workforce DBS disclosure and 2 character references.
The role will be undertaken during office hours, Monday to Friday at Focus Birmingham, 48-62 Woodville Road, Harborne, Birmingham, B17 9AT.
- Communicating with the individual over the telephone, letting them explain their enquiry and discussing appropriate support to be given.
- Helping the individual, where appropriate to complete benefit application forms.
- Recording details of forms completed onto a database.
- To undertake any other training relevant to this role.
Tasks which will NOT be included as part of the role
- Volunteers will not have responsibility for an individual’s finances.
- Volunteers will not work alone with individuals where there are complex healthcare needs and/or challenging behaviours that require specialist interventions.
Desirable Skills and Experience
- A commitment to the aims and values of Focus Birmingham.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Be able to read and write English.
- A commitment to upholding the confidentiality of sensitive information at all times.
- Ability to recognise own limits and boundaries in the role.
- Flexibility and reliability
The nature of this role is very flexible, commitment to be discussed at the informal chat.
What you can expect from us
- Sight Loss Awareness and Focus Induction.
- Safeguarding awareness.
- Any additional relevant training to enable you to undertake the role will be discussed
- Dedicated support from your line manager and volunteer coordinator.
- Reimbursement of reasonable out of pocket expenses such as travel by bus/car.
For more information about placements at Focus Birmingham or if you would like to apply, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator on 0121 478 5221.