Time to say thanks: Volunteers' Week 2020
Volunteers’ Week takes place 1 – 7 June every year. Usually it's a time when we get together to celebrate with events and awards ceremonies. With social distancing measures in place due to the Coronavirus situation, physical events won't be possible in 2020. However we've seen the amazing versatility of our charities in responding to the lockdown, so let's continue that creativity during Volunteers' Week and give our volunteers the recognition they deserve.
This year's Volunteers' Week will be a time to say thanks, and we want to share your stories, videos, pictures, tweets etc using the following hashtags:
#VolunteersWeek2020 and #BrumVolunteers
Volunteers' Week Themes
Each day of the Week has been allocated a theme to ensure that the comms activity has a coherent feel across the whole of the UK. These are:
• Monday – Listening & Support
• Tuesday – Health & Well-being
• Wednesday – Fundraising for the causes we care about
• Thursday – COVID-19 response and informal community civic action
• Friday – Nature & the Outdoors
• Saturday – Art & Culture
• Sunday – Sport & Leisure
Choose the days that are most relevant to your organisation.
#Wave for Volunteers
Running alongside the above themed days will be a social media campaign, #Wavefor volunteers. This worked really well in Australia earlier this year and it involves encouraging as many as possible to take a photo of themselves saying thank you to volunteers. Simply take a picture, like the one below, and share it on your social media platforms.
There is also a second Hashtag #Nevermoreneeded which aims to raise awareness of the role and importance of the voluntary sector.
Other ways to show your thanks
- Tell your volunteering stories. People are stepping up to help in ways we’ve not seen before in the UK. Telling their stories is a great way to recognise your volunteers and thank them for all the great things they’re doing.
- Hold a virtual event. Perhaps a Zoom coffee morning, a tea party or an awards ceremony
- Post them a certificate or a card to show your appreciation
- Surprise them with a phone call
- Make a short video of thanks
We'd love to hear from you, please send us your volunteering stories, pictures, videos - anything you would like to share - by emailing volunteersweek[at]bvsc[dot]org. Or tag us into your tweets @bvsc. We'll be sharing these during Volunteers' Week.