WE Schools Speaker and Facilitator
WE is a movement that brings people together and gives them the tools to change the world. Our vision is to shift the world from “me” to “we.” Our mission is to empower all people to change the world, locally and globally, achieving transformative outcomes for themselves and others.
WE – Making doing good, doable.
WE is seeking several dynamic Speakers and Facilitators to represent the organisation by delivering inspirational and motivational speeches and workshops to a variety of young audiences, engaging them in action for both local and global change. The role resides in the UK WE Schools department. The team implement unique programmes to engage young people from schools across the UK in learning about social issues, developing skills and taking action both locally and globally. In addition, we seek to engage schools in supporting WE Charity’s sustainable community development work overseas, WE Villages.
This is an exciting time to be joining WE in the UK as we expand our WE Schools presence to the Midlands and you will be a part of helping shape the future of this journey with us.
As a Speaker and Facilitator, you will be working with schools throughout the Midlands and further afield when necessary. The position will combine onsite visits to schools with remote working from home and Birmingham, as well as regular visits to the UK headquarters in London. The role necessitates a prior and good knowledge of the English school and education system and ideally, the candidate will be based in Birmingham or surrounding areas.
- The successful candidate will be passionate and committed to our core beliefs within WE.
- This position reports directly to the Manager of Speakers & Facilitators.
- This is a full-time fixed-term contract ending in July 2021 with a start date in August 2019.
- This position is primarily a remote role, ideally based in Birmingham, with regular travel across the Midlands and to our UK head office in London where necessary.
- This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
Your Impacts and Responsibilities
Speaking and Facilitating
- Develop and deliver inspirational speeches, making use of storytelling and multimedia resources, to engage young people of all ages – as well as teachers and other adults – to foster further involvement with WE
- Deliver dynamic and engaging workshops to a variety of young people of varying ages and learning abilities to inspire them to develop projects for both local and global change initiatives
- Inspire young people to develop a project to take action on a social issue, i.e. homelessness, bullying, global poverty
- Modify speech and workshop content to suit a variety of age groups, learning and behavioural needs and special requests from schools
- Engage with schools with the aim to secure them as participants in the WE Schools programme
- Stay abreast of current news and affairs, social issues (particularly those affecting young people) and any changes made to the education system
- Work to targets, ensuring key deliverables and KPIs are achieved as a result of frontline speech and workshop delivery
- Ensure the key messaging of both WE and our funding partners is consistent and accurately portrayed
- Serve as an ambassador for the organisation, leaving an exceptional perception of our organisation and staff
Coordinating School Visits and Logistics
- Coordinate and complete diverse administrative tasks relating to school visits and outreach activities
- Take individual responsibility for planning and booking your travel and overnight accommodation for school visits
- Monitor and track expenses incurred as part of the above travel periods
- Complete reports after each visit with our organisation and funders’ aims in mind
Reporting and Relationships
- Report directly to the WE Schools Manager of Speakers and Facilitators
- Work closely with the wider team to ensure effective delivery and implementation of the WE Schools programme and to achieve desired results
Skills and Qualifications
- Experience and/or significant talent for public speaking and facilitation
- Experience mentoring, coaching or working with young people
- Highly self-motivated, a problem solver, solution focused and a high level of emotional intelligence
- Sales-oriented mindset, motivated by goals and experience meeting and surpassing targets
- Ability to multi-task and work efficiently in a dynamic, fast-paced environment with the ability to prioritise and manage time effectively
- Passion for social justice and a demonstrated ability to engage others in a compelling fashion
- Sound knowledge of social issues affecting young people across the UK
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate confidently with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Dependable and able to follow instructions as well as take responsibility for individual actions and honour commitments
- Proficient use of MS Office programmes and experience with database management (preferably Salesforce)
- Good understanding of the English school and education system
- Willingness to work outside of standard working hours
- Ability to work remotely efficiently and effectively
- Willingness to travel within the Midlands and the wider UK
- Understanding of active citizenship and civic engagement and a passion for social justice issues
- Experience researching and preparing speeches and presentations
- Experience delivering high-quality interactive workshops to groups of young people
- Employer-provided health, dental benefits and pension scheme and more!
- Generous holiday allowance (20 days annual leave + statutory holidays + office shutdown days during the holiday period between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day) + Birthdays off
- Flexible work hours if on occasion you need to start late or leave early
- Staff trip to Kenya, India or Ecuador with all costs on the ground covered by the organisation
- The opportunity to attend WE Day, our flagship event
Closing Date: Please submit your application as soon as possible to ensure it is considered in the selection process
Candidates must be eligible to work in the UK.
We are an equal opportunities employer. We warmly welcome applications from all sections of the community and aim to promote diversity.
If you have any access requirements, please notify us in advance and we will do all we can to accommodate you.
What makes us unique…
WE is a family of organisations making doing good, doable. WE is made up of WE Charity, empowering domestic and international change, ME to WE, a social enterprise that creates socially conscious products and experiences to help support the charity, and WE Day, filling stadiums around the world with the greatest celebration of social good. WE enables young people and families to better the world—supporting 7,200+ local and global causes by volunteering millions of hours of social action, shopping daily with an impact, and raising millions of pounds that directly benefit their local communities and the world. Globally, WE teams in Asia, Africa, and Latin America have provided more than 1 million people with clean water, built 1,500 schools and schoolrooms overseas, and empowered more than 200,000 children with access to education. WE was founded more than 20 years ago by social entrepreneurs, brothers Craig and Marc Kielburger. Join the movement today at WE.org.
We sincerely thank all those who apply, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.