Birchfield Big Local - Background
Birchfield Big Local is one of 150 Big Locals around England. It is about bringing together all the gifts, aspirations, skills and energy of individuals, groups and organisations to make their area an even better place to live.
The four programme outcomes for Big Local are:
- Communities will be better able to identify local needs and take action in response to them.
- People will have increased skills and confidence, so that they continue to identify and respond to needs in the future.
- The community will make a difference to the needs it prioritises.
- People will feel that their area is an even better place to live.
Birchfield Big Local is now in year 6 of a ten-year programme. The overall decision-making body for Birchfield Big Local is the Partnership which is mostly residents. The Partnership has also developed a Big Local Plan outlining the priorities and actions for the programme. This is reviewed annually and regularly updated. A key aspect of the Big Local Plan is to develop the capacities of local people to identify local needs and take action in response to them. In September 2014 the Partnership appointed a part-time Volunteer Coordinator to help them promote and support voluntary activity within the Big Local area that will bring benefits both to the wider community and to individual volunteers.
BVSC act as the Local Trusted Organisation for Birchfield Big Local. We are seeking to appoint to the following post to continue delivery of our programme:
Fixed Term for 12 months, with a possibility to extend
£10,286 per annum pro rata (£18,000 FTE)
20 hours per week, over three days
Based at Grosvenor Road Studios, 16 Grosvenor Road, Birchfield, Birmingham B20 3NP
The Volunteer Coordinator will play a key role in working alongside the Community Development Worker and Big Local Partnership to facilitate opportunities for local people to engage in volunteering within the Birchfield Big Local area. The successful candidate will:
- recruit volunteers locally and match individuals with the volunteering opportunities available through the Birchfield Big Local Plan.
- identify appropriate informal learning and training opportunities for volunteers, including opportunities for accreditation.
- ensure that volunteers receive appropriate induction for their roles and responsibilities, are well supervised and attend appropriate training.
- monitor, motivate and provide feedback and support to volunteers, ensuring that volunteering is an empowering and self-help process open to all, and that volunteers achieve their goals.
The successful candidate will work closely with the Community Development Worker and Local Partnership members to develop a community learning programme for residents and local volunteers. You will be able to promote volunteering through various channels including social media, leaflets, and events. You will be able to maintain up to date volunteer records, monitor and evaluate with the purpose of reporting to Birchfield Big Local Partnership. You will also have experience in organising community events and be able to work with people from different demographics – age, ethnicity, social groups.
You will have good interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, be able to work effectively on your own initiative and as part of a team. You will be able to plan and manage your own workload and have good organisational skills.
Closing date for applications – Monday 29th April 2019 (by 10.00am)
Interviews to take place – Thursday 16th May or Friday 17th May 2019
For guidance on how to apply for the job please click here
For a job description please click here
For an application form please click here
For more information on working for BVSC please click here
Secondments will be considered for all posts.
BVSC is Birmingham’s premier voluntary sector support organisation. We work to:
- Provide people with opportunities to make a positive difference to their communities,
- Provide voluntary and community organisations with the resources to help them achieve their goals,
- Champion the voluntary sector as an influential force for positive change.
Please visit www.bvsc.org for more information on the work we do.
BVSC is an equal opportunities employer.