Location: New Hope Birmingham, Project: Championing a Stronger Community, Term: When required
Salary: Negotiable, Working hour When Required
The role will appeal to someone who has a keen interest in working with disadvantaged communities across Birmingham, develop event management experience and learn more about community development.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
The role of Sessional Worker will be fun and engaging and you would be a part of a small and lively team. In general, some of the duties will include the following:
- To work closely with Project Coordinator and Community Development Officer to plan and coordinate marketing events, offering creative ideas and suggestions.
- Will deliver community activity across various community settings and voluntary organisations across inner-city Birmingham.
- Participate in New Hope Birmingham engagement work by supporting and attending events, staffing the display stands and promoting the work of the charity.
- With consent collect photos of beneficiaries for archiving
- Taking part in group discussion as and when required
- Support with the dissemination of flyers, leaflets, and word of mouth promotion of the project
- Outreach work- essentially acting as the liaison between community members and organisation helping recruitments of beneficiaries to the project workshops
- At the request of Community Development Officer, attend team meetings and undertake training of relevance
- Other duties will be commensurate with the salary grade and as required of the charity objectives.
- All duties and responsibilities must be carried out with due regard to New Hope Birmingham Health and Safety Policy.
- Post holders will be accountable for carrying out all duties and responsibilities with due regard to New Hope Equal Opportunities Policy.
- Duties which include processing of any personal data must be undertaken within the data protection guidelines.
- Responsible to: Community Development Officer
- Updated: April 2019
- Date of Review: December 2019
Method of Assessment: Application Form and Interview
- Good level of general education with GCSE’s (A-C) or equivalent in English and Maths
Experience and Knowledge:
- Have an awareness of the social background of Bangladeshi and BAME communities.
- Have an interest in empowering and engaging groups in activities
- Basic office management skills and IT skills
- Good communication skills both oral and written
- Good network skills with internal and external stakeholders
- Highly organised and can plan workshops and events effectively
- Consulting people using surveys and questionnaires
Skills and Abilities:
- An honest and trustworthy individual who has a good understanding of confidentiality
- Be able to follow guidance and instructions
- Must be friendly and approachable
- Excellent team working skills with the ability to work on own initiative if required
- An empathetic listener who does not impose own views and values
- Non-judgemental attitude
Additional desirable skills and experience which may be useful:
- Speak Bengali/ Sylheti or Urdu desirable but not essential
- Access to own car and can use it for charity purpose