NCS Team Leader & Assistant Leader
We are looking for dynamic and confident people to join our NCS team this summer. You will be an organised and confident person, able to engage and support a group of up to 15 young people aged 15 to 17 through an intensive four-week programme including residential trips away from home, local skills workshops and social action activities.
The programme is split into three distinct parts:
- Week one: Away residential: You will go away with your team for four nights and five days for outdoor adventure, new challenges and team-building.
- Week two: Home residential: You will go away with your team for four nights and five days, to a local residential setting. This is the part of the programme where the young people learn new skills and get to know the community better.
- Weeks three and four: You will support your team to design and implement a project that will make a real difference to their local community
Each programme requires 210 staff hours in total broken down as follows:
- 33 hours training
- 110 hours weeks 1 & 2 residential (55 hours x 2)
- 60 hours weeks 3 & 4 (30 hours x 2 weeks)
- 7 hours Celebration Event
This role is ideal for anyone interested in working with young people. Sport 4 Life will provide you with all the training and support you need to excel
You must be interested in working with young people and supporting their development through the programme.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
(Please note, this job description is not necessarily an exhaustive list of duties but is intended to reflect a range of duties the post-holder will perform. The job description will be reviewed regularly and may be changed in the light of experience and in consultation with the post-holder.)
- Support, encourage and motivate a team of fifteen young people to complete all phases of the NCS programme, including pre-programmed engagement, 2 four-night-five-day residentials, social action planning & delivery and graduation events.
- Assist the NCS Coordinator/ NCS Wave Leader to ensure all necessary and appropriate safeguarding, data handling, health & safety and other legal requirements are in place to protect NCS participants and staff
- Work with the NCS staff team to deal with challenging behaviour from young people
- Engage and build positive relationships with young people and their parent/carers to provide effective support on a one-to-one or group basis to achieve NCS outcome targets.
- Ensure programme content is relevant to the local community and builds on existing relationships with partner individuals and organisations in order to provide young people with a quality NCS experience, ensuring they learn community and citizenship values within their local environment.
- Ensure any matters for concern are reported immediately to the NCS Coordinator / Wave Leader and support the completion of any necessary reporting (including safeguarding reports and incident reports).
- Assist in ensuring in-kind funding opportunities are maximised and on or above target.
- Attend regular supervision sessions and compulsory training to enable all duties to be carried out effectively.
- You will be required to work two four-night-five-day residentials, during which you will be expected to undertake night duty on a rota basis
- To make sure that you read, are familiar with, and follow all Sport 4 Life policies and procedures and to read and accept key Sport 4 Life policies
- To act as an ambassador for Sport 4 Life, upholding and promoting our charity values.
- To undertake any other duties which can be reasonably expected of you within the level of your job.
- This post will involve overnight stays and it will also involve some evening and weekend working
- Experience and understanding of the issues affecting young people
- An understanding of Health and Safety, Safeguarding and data handling practices
- Knowledge of the NCS programme
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels, orally and in writing
- Ability to work on your own initiative to an agreed action plan
- Ability to organise your own work routines effectively
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential issues with tact and diplomacy
- An awareness and understanding of Equality & Diversity issues
- Punctual and reliable to ensure professional service
- Creative and flexible and able to work well with others in a team
- Commitment to personal and professional development
- Able to work within a flexible timetable and to commit to at least one 4 week programme
- Experience of working directly with young people in a paid or voluntary position.
- A relevant qualification in Youth Work, Health and Social Care or equivalent
- Coaching qualifications
- Experience of planning and delivering activities in partnership with young people
- A full UK driving licence and access to a car for work purposes
The Team Leader is a dynamic, personable and progressive individual, who works well in a growing, changing and targeted environment, whilst upholding the ‘S4L Values’ (see below). They will be confident and professional, with the ability to motivate and inspire people. The Team Leader is a good communicator at all levels, a good listener, and can work effectively both internally (colleagues, subordinates) and externally (funders, partners, stakeholders).
How To Apply
To apply for this position you need to complete the online application form and upload your CV before 23:59 on Sunday 10th March by clicking here. If you have any queries, please contact the NCS team on ncsjobs[at]sport4life.org[dot]uk or call 0121 456 1818