Hours: Part time hours 14 hours / 2 days per week (ideally worked on either Wednesday, Thursday or Friday)
Job Type: Contract - 12 months
Deadline for Applications: Midday 14th August 2020
Interviews: WC 24th August 2020
Start Date: 1st September 2020
MWNUK is an award-winning national charity (no. 1155092), with membership across the UK. We find out about the lived experiences of Muslim women and girls through research and from our helpline enquiries and use this knowledge to advocate and campaign for equality and social justice.
You will be joining a team of incredibly dedicated individuals who have supported over 4500 individuals through the MWN Helpline service. We are looking for an experienced and passionate individual to join our team and really make a difference.
About the MWN Helpline
The MWN Helpline (established in 2015)- is a national specialist faith and culturally sensitive helpline that is confidential and non-judgmental, which offers information, support, guidance and referrals.
Last year we received enquiries on over 45 different issues, including:
- Domestic Abuse and Sexual Abuse
- Forced marriage and Honour based Abuse
- Marriage and Divorce
- Mental Health
- Housing and Homelessness
Purpose of the Role
We are looking to recruit a bi-lingual Case Worker to provide short-term specialist advice and support to those survivors of abusive situations and those with multiple complex needs. This will involve carrying out risk and needs assessments, safety planning, and individual support planning with survivors as well as advocating on their behalf with external agencies.
- Provide high quality, short term casework support term specialist advice and support to those survivors of abusive situations and those with multiple complex needs.
- Engage with service users and assess their needs
- Be able to identify risks in relation to service users and inform the line manager of these risks
- To refer to or speak to specialist agencies (where appropriate as part of their support plan) on the service users’ behalf
- Accompany women to appointments if appropriate, by arrangement with the line manager
- Maintain accurate and complete case notes and client records
- Taking into account cultural and social issues when engaging with service users
- To attend any meetings or training (either internal or external) as requested by the line manager
- Provide updates to the line manager on a regular basis, and engage with the wider MWNUK team
- Ensure effective implementation of MWNUK’s Equality and Diversity policies and awareness and integration of an equalities and human rights agenda in all your work
- Good general level of education, and excellent IT skills using MS Office
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to confidently speak Arabic, though the ability to speak another language, such as Urdu, Somali, Punjabi etc, will also be considered
- Experience of working with Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic and/or Refugee and Migrant communities, particularly those from Muslim communities
- Understanding of the practical, emotional, social and economic issues facing women and children affected by domestic abuse
- Knowledge of key issues affecting Muslim communities, including domestic abuse, forced marriage, honour-based violence, discrimination, mental health etc.
- Demonstrable understanding of the diverse needs of women and children experiencing domestic violence and the discrimination issues as they relate to women escaping domestic violence.
- Knowledge of housing, welfare and policy relating to domestic violence
- Sound knowledge of safeguarding for adults and children
- Ability to work sensitively and in a non-judgmental manner with vulnerable service users.
- Understanding of issues of diversity and the principles of equal opportunities.
- Understanding and adhering to policies e.g. confidentiality, data protection and maintaining professional boundaries
- Ability to work flexibility
- The ability to develop appropriate, professional, supportive relationships with vulnerable service users while maintaining professional boundaries with them
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to independently manage own caseload, working under pressure and prioritising workload
- Proactive, keen and committed individual and able to use own initiative
- Able to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Problem-solving skills – be able to find solutions to problems that service users may have
- High level of professionalism when dealing with internal and external stakeholders
- Honest and trustworthy individual
- Drive and willingness to go above and beyond the role
- Committed to the ethos and principles of MWNUK.
- Access to a car and be willing to travel around the West Midlands area (mostly in Birmingham). Occasional travel outside of Birmingham may be required by rail.
- It will be necessary for an Enhanced Disclosure to be made to the Criminal Records Bureau for details of any previous criminal convictions.
- In accordance with The Equality Act 2010 (Schedule 9, Part 1, Paragraph 1), this post is open to women only.
Please send a CV and cover letter demonstrating your suitability for the role, relevant experience and additional language spoken to contact[at]mwnuk.co[dot]uk by midday 14th August 2020.
Interviews via Zoom will take place WC 24th August 2020