Working With Dual Diagnosis
When people have both substance use problem and mental health problems they can find it very difficult to acccess the right kind of help. Too often they can feel "bounced around" services, with staff lacking confidence to deal with the complexity of an individual's needs.
Our course covers:
- Defining and understanding the common types of dual diagnosis
- Detailing how different substances can affect, and be affected by, mental health difficulties
- Exploring ways of working with people with a dual diagnosis, including motivational techniques, impulse control, risk management and relapse prevention
- Barriers to people getting the best help from medical, mental health and substance misuse services (and how these barriers can be overcome)
- Sources of further help and support for those living with dual diagnosis, and the staff who work with them