Volunteers Drivers Mate
Hours: 1-3 days (or part of) per week
Location: Birmingham area
At ExtraCare our vision is simple; we want to create better lives for older people. We want to broaden horizons, not limit them. We seek to foster independence, not simply deal with dependence. We aim to help older people stay active in body and mind for as long as possible. Volunteering is at the heart of what we do; we rely on the support of thousands of valued volunteers, from our Board of Trustees to those who give their time and skills in our villages, schemes and charity shops to ensure our services remain affordable for all.
The Volunteer Drivers Mate will:
- Help with packing and loading the vehicle, ensuring the load is safe and accessible
- Help to plan routes and delivery schedules, travelling with the driver for deliveries/collections
- Examine the vehicle before setting off to ensure it is safe and fit for purpose (with the Volunteer Driver)
- Help to unload the vehicle at delivery points
- Obtain delivery confirmations/signatures, and where appropriate signing up Gift Aid donorsItems being transported can include large household items/furniture, electrical goods, clothing, small household items (such as bric-a-brac, books, CDs etc.). These may be donations being collected from someone’s home and delivered to the appropriate Charity Shop/storage container or purchases made at the shop/online to be delivered to the customer.
- Trustworthy, honest and reliable
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as under your own initiative
- Good communication skills
- Ability to perform physical tasks (loading/unloading). Manual Handling training will be given