Social Media Volunteer
Location: Lozells Methodist Community Centre, 163 Lozells Street, Birmingham, B19 2AP
Responsible to: The Volunteer will be under the supervision of the Centre Manager and the Minister in pastoral charge of Lozells Methodist Church and Community Centre.
Purpose and Objectives: To be responsible for the promotion, development and maintenance of our online presence in order to maximise its impact and promote the activities of the church and community centre as widely as possible to the local community.
- To help create and maintain a social media plan that will promote the activities and achievements of Lozells Methodist Church and Community Centre
- To gather the information and data required to produce and manage the content for our social media; such as Twitter, Facebook and YouTube
- To encourage others to comment on posts and share them with others
- To track the effectiveness of our social media work and develop and suggest communication techniques that would further target the local community
Relevant Skills, Competencies and Experience
- An understanding of different types of marketing and communications media, including electronic and social media
- Computer skills required to use a variety of packages to input and retrieve data
- An ability to take good quality photos and videos suitable for use on social media
- An ability to communicate effectively and articulately, in order to transform small snippets of information into interesting and engaging stories suitable for Twitter, Facebook etc.
- Ideally resident in Birmingham, with an interest in, knowledge of or willingness to learn about the Lozells community
- Ability to work well both independently and as part of a team and manage personal workload efficiently
- Good understanding of confidentiality
Terms and conditions
Terms of appointment: Voluntary or placement unpaid role with a minimum fixed term of 6 months*
Normal working pattern: 1 day per week, with flexibility around working hours*
- All reasonable expenses will be reimbursed. (Note you will not be expected to use a car for this job).
- The appointment will be subject to a satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure & Debarring Service (DBS) disclosure.
- The appointment will be subject to satisfactory references
- The appointment will be subject to the satisfactory completion of up to three-month probationary period.
* To be discussed with the candidate based on availability
The Volunteer will have a line manager whose responsibilities will be to:
- Provide a full induction and relevant training on all aspects of the role
- Become familiar with the work of the Volunteer and offer ongoing support
- Determine priorities for the work of the Volunteer
- Prepare a personal development plan with the Volunteer
- Ensure good communications between all the ‘stakeholders’ (groups and networks) involved.
- Monitor and evaluate progress with the Volunteer on a regular basis (meetings will take place weekly initially to be reviewed after a period of three months).
Benefits of being a Social Media Volunteer
- Increased confidence in and development of data handling, communication and social media skills
- Use of skills and experience to contribute to the success of Lozells Methodist Church and Community Centre
- Experience of working with a local community
- Increased knowledge and understanding of how communities, charities and community organisation work together to support one another
- References to add to your CV
Lozells Methodist Church and Community Centre aim to be a church in the community for the community, filled with respect and compassion, where positive relationships develop and thrive, and lives are transformed.