Residential Holiday Volunteer
About the opportunity
- Birmingham PHAB Camps run action-packed holidays around the UK for disadvantaged young people who come from Birmingham.
- The holidays each take away twenty or so children or young adults, in various age groups during school holidays. On most of the holidays, half of the participants have disabilities and half are non-disabled with the aim of facilitating the integration of disabled and non-disabled young people. We also arrange holidays for groups with severe multiple disabilities and autism.
- We try to provide a range of stimulating activities from canoeing and archery to raft building and ropes courses, along with visits to theme parks, farms and swimming.
- The young people are given the opportunity to participate in new and challenging experiences and everyone can take part together, no matter what their ability. Many of the young people involved have no other opportunity of a holiday.
- We seek happy, vibrant, fun-loving and generous people who would like the experience of looking after others for a week and enjoy joining a dynamic team to give everyone the holiday of a lifetime.
About Birmingham PHAB Camps
- Birmingham PHAB Camps is a voluntary organisation that provides holidays aimed at creating inclusion for disadvantaged young people, with and without disabilities, who live in the Birmingham area. We are staffed entirely by volunteers.
- Our children and young adults are given the opportunity to participate in new and challenging experiences and everyone can take part together, no matter what their ability. Many who join us for a week have no other opportunity for a holiday.
- We have no fixed means of income so, to achieve this, we have to actively raise around £95K each year.
- The charity's operations are managed by a team of enthusiastic volunteers through an operational committee, and a group of sub-teams, with responsibility for running the holidays and fundraising. The charity is overseen by a small group of Trustees who are responsible for reviewing the charity's policies and governance. Everyone works voluntarily so there are no salaries to pay and very few expenses are claimed. Our administration costs are less than 1% of our total expenditure each year.
What are we looking for?
- We're looking for people who care about others and want to experience looking after children or young adults, in a fun, friendly and life-changing environment. It's a full-on immersive experience for just one week of the year! You meet some fantastic people and you make a real difference to others.
- Think of Camp America - but in the UK!
- We need your energy, empathy, passion and enthusiasm. We'll help you with the rest!
- This is an entirely voluntary role. We are asking for one week of your time to come on a fantastic week giving our young people the holiday of a lifetime.
- You can come from anywhere in the UK. We just ask that you travel to Birmingham at the beginning of the week because this is where the coaches leave from to go to the various holiday destinations!
- You do not need any prior experience of working with young people. You just need to show the right motivations and a willingness to throw yourself into it. We will provide you with Training and you will need to undergo the required police-checks and references.
- You must be aged 17 or above to volunteer with us. Please do not apply if you are 16 or younger.
- There is no upper age limit - we have volunteers of all ages - currently ranging from 17 to 72!