Media Lab volunteer mentors
Help make our Media Labs a success. Use your media/communications skills or community support skills to further our work to ensure migrants have a voice.
You will be working in a team, supporting our Media Lab training and mentoring sessions delivered by media professionals. Tasks will include:
- Working with migrants and refugees in small groups and one-one to support them to tell their own stories in articles, videos, social media, photos, etc.
- Support the practical delivery of the session from planning to practical event support e.g. with paperwork, media equipment, evaluation etc.
- Follow up editing and production of stories
The volunteer will work closely with the staff team and other volunteers.
- Strong skills in one or more of these areas of media production: video, social media, photography, blogs, radio, podcasts, articles, etc.
- Strong communication skills
- Knowledge of the key issues that affect migrants and refugees
- Experience working as part of a team
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Good computer skills
Location: This post is based in the West Midlands, primarily at our office in Birmingham, but some training and mentoring sessions will take place in Coventry and Wolverhampton.
Volunteering hours: 1-2 days per week/month – or as agreed with the staff team
Duration: A minimum commitment of 3 months with the possibility of an extension or renewal (this position could be suitable for a work placement or internship)
How to apply: Interested applicants need to send in their CV and a cover letter explaining why they are the right volunteer for this position. Send to selbin[at]migrantvoice[dot]org and/or adam[at]migrantvoice[dot]org. You can also email us to request further information. If shortlisted, you will be invited to attend an informal interview.