Fastlaners Self Development Programme 2019
Aged 18 -25 and want a new job?
Fastlaners is a free programme that will get you the job you deserve.
From Tuesday 25th June to Wednesday 3rd July 2019 in Birmingham, you will:
- Work out what career you would love and how to get there.
- Gain professional, constructive feedback on your CV and job applications.
- Get confident at networking, with real opportunities to meet employers.
- Find out about entrepreneurship and self-employment
- Learn techniques and tools to keep motivated and stay resilient.
- Meet other young adults and overcome challenges together.
- Meet and learn from representatives of; KPMG, John Lewis, Catapult Energy, Birmingham Entrepreneurs, local authorities, Birmingham City University, Barclays and more...
We'd love to hear from you.
You can be unemployed or a graduate, as long as you're 18-25, want a job that means something to you and can commit to the 7-day programme from Tuesday 25th to Wednesday 3rd July 2019 (including a 2-day break).
*Contributions to travel expenses are available.
Timetable (subject to change):
- Tuesday 25th June (9:30 am - 4:30 pm)
Introduction to Fastlaners: Get to know the programme, your peers and start to look at what kind of environment you may like to work in.
Career Mapping & Realising Your Skills: A session with a qualified coach looking at your individual skills and planning out your possible career journey.
What are employers looking for? A discussion with professionals from across sectors to find out what different careers look like, what employers look for in those areas and how to shake the ‘millennial’ perception.
- Wednesday 26th June (9:30 am - 4:30 pm)
First Aid Session: Learn how to be safe and properly respond to situations which require applying first aid in the workplace, session delivered by the British Red Cross.
Applications Masterclass: Become an expert at writing any kind of job application and receive personalised, professional feedback on your CV from recruitment specialists.
- Thursday 27th June (9:30 am - 4:30 pm)
Group Dynamics & Teamwork: Working well in teams isn't always easy - find out how to effectively contribute in a team for assessment centres and the wider working world.
Communication & Presentation Skills: Gain confidence and techniques to get your message across verbally and when presenting to an audience.
- Friday 28th June (9:30pm - 4:30pm)
Job Descriptions, Person Specifications and Job Applications: Clear and practical advice on how to navigate job information and make the most of it for your applications and interviews and group assessments.
Emotional Wellbeing: A session exploring practical tools to support healthy mental wellbeing and resilience when job hunting.
- Monday 1st July (9:30pm - 4:30pm)
Acing Interviews & Assessments: Learn what interviewers are looking for, how to prepare yourself and how to answer any question thrown at you.
Networking & Personal Branding: Find out how to get contacts and look amazing to recruiters, online and in person.
- Tuesday 2nd July (1:00pm - 4:45pm)
Mock Assessment Centre: Take part in a mock assessment centre and interview scenario and receive constructive feedback with real employers.
Speed Mentoring: Get personalised and 1:1 mentoring on how to progress in your personal development and future goals.
- Wednesday 3rd July (1:00 pm - 8:15 pm)
Goal-setting: With a professional coach, make your own plan to take forward after the programme.
Consultation Event: Celebrating 4 years of the Fastlaners programme; speakers, professionals and participants will attend a formal event to bring together findings on self-development and employability and how to build on this for the future.
- You must be aged 18 - 25 years old.
- Can attend all 6 days of the programme (some exceptions considered).
- Be able to attend in Birmingham city centre each day.
- You must be a graduate or a final year/gap year student.
- You must be unemployed or working less than 16 hours a week/on a zero hour contract.
Start Date Details:
Starts Tuesday 25th June - Friday 28th June (2-day break) then resumes Monday 1st July - Wednesday 3rd July 2019.
Application Closing Date:
The programme is free to attend and there are travel cost contributions available.
Birmingham, London & Manchester
How to apply
Please apply via the UpRising website: https://www.uprising.org.uk/apply (select Fastlaners and Birmingham) or contact Wah Au, Programme Manager, for further details: wah.au[at]uprising.org[dot]uk or call 07467148168
UpRising is a national youth leadership development organisation. We are recognised at Government-level as a pioneering charity championing the critical issues surrounding diversity, social mobility and equality. Our important work provides routes to leadership and employment for 16-25-year-olds who have talent but lack opportunity. The mission is to break the cycle of unrepresentative power in the UK, by developing new, community-minded and socially-conscious leaders; so that our future decision-makers truly represent our diverse communities. We want to change the face of power in this country - quite literally. Our Programmes run in London, Luton, West Midlands, Cardiff City Region and Greater Manchester. We have also worked in Merseyside, Bedford, Tamworth, Lichfield, Stoke-on-Trent and Blackburn. We have a growing movement of over 3,300 UpRising Alumni, who importantly, remain involved in their community and with our work.