Development Programme for Directors - Volunteer role
Don’t Settle is a three year project that empowers 16-25 year olds from minoritised communities in Birmingham and the Black Country to change the voice of heritage through the arts, research and governance. The project is funded by Heritage Lottery Fund.
In organisations, directors make big decisions that impact the entire company and its structures. We think having young people at the heart of these decisions is important. We are looking for 12 young people who will become change makers and want to be at the forefront of change in heritage organisations. How? By becoming directors. On the programme, you will gain board-level experience and design innovative youth engagement models to implement in our partner organisations: Birmingham Museums Trust and Chance Glass Works Heritage Trust.
- You must be aged 16-25 at the time of application and based in either Birmingham or the Black Country.
- You must be able to attend weekly workshops one evening a week (mostly Tuesdays) from 6:30pm-8: 30 pm, and occasional Saturday sessions.
- You should have a strong desire to change the relationship between heritage organisations and young people.
- You should be a team player with a willingness to be hands-on and motivated to see a project through to its end.
- We encourage applications from individuals from minoritised communities, in particular Black, Asian and minority ethnicities.
- Assistance is available for any access needs, including travel costs.
- You will receive an Arts Award Qualification upon completion.
- You will either work with Birmingham Museums Trust or Chance Glass Works Heritage Trust. Please state which site you would prefer to work within your application.
- Just to note, you do not need to have any creative or governance experience for this role, just a desire to want to change the way heritage organisations engage with young people.
This is a voluntary role. Please see the information pack for more details here.
Deadline: 9 am on 27th February 2019
Selection process: Interviews to be held w/c 4th of March 2019. If you are successful, you will be invited to a welcome party on Friday 15th March 2019.
Start date: 20th March 2019 6.30pm - 8.30pm